Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fernie, BC – Where the Good Times Roll

Oh you bet! The good times are definitely rollin’ in good ol’ Fernietown! The weather has been extraordinary and the fun we’re having just never seems to end! Why should it? Life is too short to sit around wondering whether or not you should come to Fernie…..just do it! You won’t regret it and once you’re here you may never leave! I have encountered many locals who once upon a time came here for a holiday and have been living here ever since…they never left! Fernie has an enigmatic personality…it draws you in and before you know it, as baffling as it may be, you’re moving into your new home! Now I have been coming to Fernie for over 20 years to visit my sister and 2 summers ago I found myself at a crossroads in my life and I spent the majority of that summer driving between Fernie and Vernon (my hometown). Finally my sister asked why on earth I didn’t just move here and by gum, without hesitation, I did! Best decision I ever made!
This community has become so dear to me heart that I doubt I shall ever leave! I love my job and to that end, I love to participate in many community events on behalf of Fernie Lodging Company. Most recently I was on a team in the Golf Fore the Cure tournament which is a fundraiser for breast cancer research. It was a fantastic event at Fernie Golf and Country Club where 18 teams of crazy women dressed in various shades of pink and golfed their hearts out! Our team, of course, went above and beyond and dressed in an Hawaiian theme complete with pink leis, pink flowers in our hair and even a few coconut shells adorned with tropical blooms! Once again this wonderful little town pulled together, donated many amazing draw prizes, silent auction items and of course cash donations and raised close to $8000.
In my last post, I talked about my hikes this summer thus far…I can now add two more! A few weeks ago, we hiked Mount Fernie, over the backside, through Windy Pass and down to Island Lake Lodge (7.5 hours, 16kms) where we rewarded ourselves with icy cold beverages on the Bear Patio; this past weekend we hiked up Cabin Ridge Trail, Cabin Bowl, saw Orca Rock up close and personal, scaled Big Steep Mother (aptly named) and along the ridge (quite narrow in places), then down to Lizard Lake and eventually back to the valley (6.5 hours, not sure of distance but trust me, it felt like at least 25kms!). Sitting atop the highest peak we climbed, enjoying lunch with good friends, was truly one of the most extraordinary moments in my life…breathtaking really. I hope you can all experience it some day! How lucky am I to have such a playground out my back door!
We have a great "Escape to Fernie for August Long" special on our Facebook page so check it out and come out for a visit this weekend! We have other great getaway deals running all summer…perhaps coming out for the Wapiti Music Festival the August 9th and 10th weekend is more up your alley. Whatever dates you choose, I guarantee you will have the best time ever and who knows…you may never leave!
Of course you know that following summer and a short autumn the snow flies and off we go on another epic ski season! We are already busy taking winter bookings…don’t procrastinate and miss out on a Christmas or New Year’s Fernie holiday! Call now!
Let the good times roll in Fernie BC!
1.800.667.9911

Photo: Happy girls high atop the mountain peak!

No comments:

Post a Comment